Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2011

What is this history grant thing all about?

   First of all I want to say happy Father's Day to two very important fathers in my life, my Dad and my husband.  You are amazing men and good fathers.
   Speaking of fathers, I am now in the exact place where our Founding Fathers gathered to sign declarations, hammer out constitutions, and get our country off on a solid foundation.  I am in Philadelphia.  I never imagined I would be able to see the actual places that these idealistic, yet practicle people gathered to decide the fate of our place in the new world.  Yet, here I am!  I am so honored to be part of a national grant that is administered by our ESD in Medford. Forty teachers from Southern Oregon are participating over the next three years in learning about teaching American History.  Ten of us are from Klamath Falls and we have been dubbed the "K-Falls Mafia."  Not sure exactly why, since only one of us has an Italian surname, but we like it anyway.
   The grant requires us to attend lectures and sessions on American History given by top historians and teachers,  produce papers and lesson ideas on given topics, and travel to 3 major historical places over the next 3 summers.  We are treated like royalty with delicious meals, nice lodging, transportation, books, and incredible experiences.  The other participants are amazing people!  I am humbled by their giftedness.
   My roommate this year has been a teacher from Bonanza, Marja Hill.  She teaches social studies at the middle school level; a very brave lady!  She has helped me to understand a lot of what has been presented, since history has always been one of my weakest subjects.  She answers my questions, and puts up with my ignorance quite well.  She also makes sure I get my little sleepy head out of bed!
   I will be trying to post every evening of this trip as a way of meeting a requirement, but more importantly as a sort of journal to help me remember as much as possible.  I'd better get started, because today was quite an action packed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment